Monday, September 19, 2005

Do people in relationships not remember what it was like to be single?

Someone in a relationship cannot actually answer this question… why? Because their answer would be ‘Yes’, but the truth is more then likely ‘No’ they don’t remember. If they did, they wouldn’t set you up with people with whom you had nothing in common, other then being single as well. They wouldn’t try to set you up on a group date so you could have an audience on your first date. And they wouldn’t embellish if not flat out exaggerate how great the other person is. This of course causes you to then spend the rest of the date asking yourself, how much have I been built up or exaggerated? Can I live up to the super women my friends may have made me out to be? You are so preoccupied thinking about the impression you are making, or him not living up to the legend, you probably have a horrible time on what could have been a pretty good date, or at least a good dinner.

So many other questions arise from this; Are these friends who set you up really your friends? What is more offensive, that they set you up or that they thought you were so desperate for love that you would somehow disregard the fact that your respective date is socially inept and jump into his arms because he is willing to take you? Why is being single such a bad thing? Why do people feel sorry for those of us who don’t have a life long companion?

It is true, I’d like to find someone to spend my life with, my life is good, and full… wanting to share my experiences with someone does not make me a desperate women. It makes me a woman who has room to let someone in, someone, not just anyone.

No comments: